Friday, April 27, 2012

Favorite Nursery Song

 Rhett looked out the window one day, "Popcorn, popcorn." Then sang his version of Popcorn Popping. I was surprised he knew it was a popcorn tree they sing about in the song. Popcorn Popping is one of the several songs he will request at night. It is wonderful to have a window you can look out and see popcorn popping on.
Popcorn Popping
I looked out the window, and what did I see?
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree!
Spring had brought me such a nice surprise,
Blossoms popping right before my eyes.
I could take an armful and make a treat,
A popcorn ball that would smell so sweet.
It wasn't really so, but it seemed to be
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree.

I was repainting the kitchen wall that Rhett loves to get yogurt on, when I noticed two birds flying back and forth next to the sliding glass door. They were building a nest in this bird house (a decoration from my wedding reception). I was surprised the birds would use it this close to the house and under the awning.

I recently learned the song Birds in the Tree when picking out songs Nursery age kids might enjoy. It is a cute little song - I sing it in my head every now and then. At BYU I had to take a nature class were you're assigned to identify some large number of birds- since then I always notice birds especially when driving on 405. There are always hawks sitting on light posts or trees near by.
 Birds in the Tree
We will find a little nest in the branches of a tree
Let us count the eggs inside; There are one, two, three.
Mother bird sits on the nest to hatch the eggs, all three.
Father bird flies round and round to guard his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment